Performing sports is extremely beneficial for health, whether it is done in closed or open spaces. However, with the arrival of longer hours of sunshine during the day and higher temperatures, it certainly seems more like exercising outside. We share some benefits of outdoor sports.
There are numerous findings that scientifically support the fact that outdoor sports enhance the benefits of it.
For example, a recent study – carried out by researchers from the University of Essex, in the United Kingdom – found that during the first five minutes of outdoor exercise, whatever the activity performed, it is when there is a greater increase in self-esteem and mood improvement, compared to doing the same activity in an enclosed space.
Other fantastic benefits of doing sports abroad are:
1. The level of endorphins – also known as the ‘hormones of happiness’ – that are generated by playing sports outdoors is higher than in an enclosed space and is even higher if it is also done in groups with family or friends.
2. Biomechanically it is much better to practice certain activities abroad. Running on natural circuits allows you to better exercise all the muscles and tendons of the extremities as there are changes in direction, unevenness and even rhythm. Likewise, riding a bicycle outdoors represents a greater effort, since the natural resistance of the wind is present, which allows burning a greater amount of calories.
3. Taking advantage of the hours of sun to play sports positively influences obtaining vitamin D, a vitamin that the body produces when the skin is directly exposed to the sun and that fixes calcium and phosphorus for healthy bone formation.
4. After exercising in green spaces, blood pressure returns to baseline faster than when done indoors.
5. It reduces the feeling of fatigue since the environment provides our nervous system with various pleasant stimuli that serve as a distraction and reduce awareness of physiological sensations or negative emotions. This can help increase the amount of physical activity performed and the motivation to continue.
Some benefits of outdoor sports:
-Wear appropriate breathable clothing.
-Makes good hydration, especially in hot weather.
-Use sunscreen and sunglasses.
-If you live in big cities, try to exercise in parks or green areas, avoiding busy streets and especially the hours when there may be more pollution.